Our strong research profile is sustained by an instrument infrastructure offering researchers and students access to a wide range of analytical and visualisation techniques and associated technical expertise.
The Laboratory for Instrumental Analysis (LIA, pl: PAI) provides researchers with access to state-of-the-art analytical techniques, including Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM-EDX, HR-SEM), Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM-EDX-EELS), AFM, P-XRD, SC-XRD, EDX, PEELS, Porosimetry, Thermal Analysis, IR, Raman and NMR spectroscopy and Elemental Analysis. Students also may benefit from these facilities during their diploma project work.
LIA welcomes enquiries from external scientists or industrialists who might wish to use these services. Please contact the team for further information.
The Faculty Departments and research teams use a wide variety of specialized equipment and analytical instruments in their research laboratories. Workshops for glassblowing, mechanics, and electronics are also available on-site.
Teaching facilities and other shared spaces
- Two lecture halls and numerous seminar rooms containing audio-visual technology and presentation equipment;
- Spacious teaching laboratories located in lab cubes (C) and in both buildings A and B;
- Two computer rooms equipped with 12 PC workstations each, and software used for courses such as IT, computational chemistry, quantum chemistry and molecular modelling, among others;
- The Faculty library with a reading room, stocked with books on chemistry, textbooks, and archival yearbooks of journals;
- Social spaces in the lobby of Building A and B and the faculty library, which are great places to relax or meet with friends and colleagues during breaks between classes. Green areas between the Faculty buildings are also open and available on warmer days;
- Eduroam wireless network available in all faculty buildings; Students log in to the network after installing authentication certificates on their devices;
- A bar/cafe where you can enjoy breakfast, lunch and snacks on-site or order takeaway;
- An automated external defibrillator (AED) is located by the faculty cloakroom, near the main entrance;